Applications are now open for the 2018 Sakura Matsuri! Please see this page on the official Sakura Matsuri website for more information and links to the applications.
First held in 1961, the Sakura Matsuri – Japanese Street Festival is now the largest one-day exhibition of Japanese culture in the United States.
The Sakura Matsuri is held each spring as the climax of the four-week National Cherry Blossom Festival. On good weather days, it has drawn over 40,000 visitors in 7 hours.
The Sakura Matsuri is a family-friendly festival. There are over 15 vendors of Japanese food, two beer gardens, 30 exhibitors of Japanese arts and culture, 15 vendors of Japanese products, and over 30 hours of live performances on five stages, including traditional and popular Japanese music and dance and martial arts demonstrations.
The Sakura Matsuri is divided into six main areas:
- Taste of Japan (with restaurants selling Japanese food)
- The Ginza Marketplace (selling traditional Japanese products)
- Japan Now (celebrating modern, youthful Japan)
- Performing Arts (featuring traditional Japanese music and dance)
- Japanese Martial Arts
- Japanese Arts and Culture Exhibitions
There’s something for everyone at the Sakura Matsuri!